STR regulations in France

Novembre 2021

Short-term rentals in France are regulated and subject to tax obligations. We provide you here with an overview of the applicable regulations. We do not pretend the information provided here is to be exhaustive neither current. It is your duty to know and abide by the law. For more information, please contact your local authorities or a local legal expert. 


In application of article L.314-1-1 of Tourism Code, we inform you, on this page, of the registration and prior authorization requirements that may apply to you. More details and applicable regulations on this dedicated FAQ


Tax and social security contributions

Please visit our FAQ dedicated to tax and social security contributions. You can also visit these official pages: 


Occupancy tax

misterb&b collects the "taxe de séjour" (occupancy tax) directly from the Guests, and remits it to local tax authorities on behalf of each Host. More information on our FAQ about the collection of French occupancy taxes


Information sharing 

Since January 2020, misterb&b shares information with the French tax authorities regarding the misterb&b earnings of (i) Hosts residing in France, and (ii) Hosts renting out an accommodation located in France.  For more information, please visit our FAQ about information sharing with French Tax authorities.


Type of rentals

  • Guesthouses ("chambres d’hôte"). Guesthouse are rooms in Host's lodging, fully equipped and furnished, and provided along with services included in the price (at minimum, breakfast and clean linens). The Host is necessarily present in the lodging. You must submit a prior notice to your City Hall before starting this business activity (form). If this activity is conducted on a regular basis, you must register to the business register (RCS) and to the CFE of the local Chambre de commerce. The regulation Circulaire du 23 Décembre 2013 lists the main regulations applicable to French guesthouses. More information on this page from the Direction Générale des entreprises website and this one from the French Administration website;
  • Private rooms ("chambres chez l’habitant"). When the tourist rental of a room does not match the definition of "chambre d'hôte" (see above), notably because you do not provide additional ancillary services -  the room you rent is a simple private room. You do not have to submit any prior notice for this operation;
  • Meublé de tourisme. "Meublé de tourisme" is an accommodation fully rented to the Guest (in the absence of the Host). Guests cannot rent a "meublé de tourisme" for more than 90 consecutive days. More information on this page of the Direction Générale des entreprises website and this one on the French Administration.


Quality ranking of meublé de tourisme ("classement")

You can apply for the qualitative ranking of your lodging (from 1 to 5 stars) by Atout France. It can help your Guests appreciate its level of comfort. More information on the process to complete on our dedicated dedicated FAQ and on the website of Atout France.

If your "meublé de tourisme" has been granted a quality ranking by Atout France, please specify it in “Edit my listing” from your misterb&b account. 


Administrative procedures for "meublés de tourisme"

Your primary residence is the accommodation you live in for 8 months per year minimum. You can rent your entire primary residence for 120 days per year at maximum, and a room in it without time limitation - without completing the procedures described herein. 

At the contrary, secondary residences can only be rented out (either a room or the entire place) after completed the following steps, where relevant: 

  • Prior authorization of changement d’usage (article L.631-7 CCH). Big cities (+200 000 inhabitants) ou medium cities (+50 000) of tensed areas are allowed to implement the prior authorization for change of use. Please contact the planning and zoning office ("service d’urbanisme") of your City Hall, and/or refer to the city regulation ("règlement municipal") implementing the prior authorization for change of use. Some big cities, like Paris, require that the change of use must be compensated (by transforming office/commercial spaces to long-term rental accommodation);
  • Prior authorization of changement de destination (article R.123-9, R. 421-14, R. 421-17 CU). Renting out your secondary residence to tourists means it should be placed in the “hébergements touristiquesdestination (tourist lodging). A change in "destination" is only possible when granted by the City Hall after applying for authorization. Such application may be completed by simple prior notice or by requesting a planning permission for construction work (where heavy improvements are needed before hosting tourists). Plus d'informations sur ou en contactant le service urbanisme de votre Mairie. 

More information on prior authorizations for primary residence here and secondary residence here (official pages from the French administration official website). 


Registration number

Article 51 of the Loi pour une République numérique allows some French cities to require the registration of all "meublés de tourisme" (either primary or secondary residence) located on their territories. 

  • The registration number is immediately issued after completing the registration process (either at your City Hall or online, through a dedicated portal);
  • Your registration number must be included in your misterb&b listing. You can do it by going to "Legal requirements and taxes" via "Edit my listing". 
  • More information (including the list of relevant cities) in our FAQ about French registration number


Sub-renting and home sharing

  • Sub-renting. If your lease contract was executed after March 27, 2014, you must obtain the written agreement of the owner before sub-renting your place. Before this date, sub-rental is free unless an explicit provision in your lease contract forbids it or subject it to the prior consent of your owner. More information here on Service - click here for a template of authorization request;
  • Shared-home. You may determine in your flat/house sharing the frequency of tourist rentals, and/or the potential splitting of earnings; 
  • Public / low-income housing. In France, sub-renting your entire space in a public housing is forbidden (even to tourists on a short-term basis). Sub-renting a room is strictly regulated. More information


Security standards

In France, every lodging must meet minimum standards of security, accessibility and health. Such standards are set by national or local regulations. Please contact your City Hall to learn more about these regulations. 

  • Emergency contact. Share with your Guests the national and local emergency contact, including the address and contact of the doctor on duty, pharmacy on duty and the closest hospital;
  • First-aid kit. To be installed in a easily accessible place. You can follow the Protection civile de Paris guidelines to help you compose your first-aid kit;
  • Decent housing (décret n°2002-120). All lodgings must meet minimum standards of space and comfort. 
  • Accessibility for the disabled (loi n°2005-102). "Meublés de tourisme" (i) having a capacity of 15 persons, or meublés de tourisme ayant une capacité d’accueil de plus de 15 personnes, (ii) in which improvements works were subject to planning permission, or (iii) subject to "changement de destination" authorization, must meet accessibility requirements for the disabled.
  • Fire security (décret n°2011-36). Every lodging must be equipped with a smoke detector. More information on the website of the Ministère de l’Intérieur;
  • Swimming pools. Swimming pools must equipped with a security device for drowning prevention. More information on the website of the Ministère de l'Intérieur;
  • Home insurance. Please make sure your home insurance cover short-term rentals; 
  • Emergency exits. Please indicate clearly all emergency exits to your Guest, by providing an evacuation plan of the building.


Disturbance prevention

  • Neighborhood nuisance. Please mind neighborhood nuisance and invite your Guest to respect your neighbors (notably  convient de ne pas troubler votre voisinage, en demandant à vos Voyageurs d’être respectueux et vigilants (en particulier en matière de nuisances sonores). You can reduce noise disturbance with the following rules: forbidding parties, additional Guests (undeclared during the booking) and/or noises at certain hours, specifying that the lodging is not suitable to host children or pets. More information on;
  • House rules. You may include house rules in your Listing; 
  • Public order (décret 2015-1002). A police form must be filled and signed by foreigner Guests upon arrival. Such forms must be kept by the Hosts for 6 months. More information on