This page helps you navigate through our pricing policy and understand what’s behind our “service fee”.
First, it is key to understand who we are and why our pricing model is slightly different from other short-term rental platforms.
- There is no need to feel sorry for us, but misterb&b is not an international corporation with billions of dollars in the bank and thousands of employees. misterb&b was founded by LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs and despite the success and numerous rounds of funding, it remains a small and independent company with a beautiful team of 35 people. We are fully engaged with our community (see Mister for Good below).
- As a business founded by LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs for LGBTQ+ travelers and hosts, we address a “niche” market which means our scale as a company is limited, making it harder for us to spread our fixed costs (customer success, legal, tech, finance, compliance, etc.) across a large market. It also means our inventory is mostly exclusive (LGBTQ+ hosts and guests), mostly around private rooms, with hosts and travelers expecting warm welcomes and great connections. This inventory is much harder to build than what you will find on bigger platforms focused on offering empty apartments dedicated to short-term rentals.
With that in mind, let’s get into more details about our prices.
Like other home-sharing platforms, we charge 2 different booking fees: the guest fee to the travelers, which is added to the total amount they pay, and the host fee to the hosts, which is deducted from the total amount they receive 24 hours after the guest’s arrival.
The guest service fee applies to the booking subtotal. The booking subtotal equals the nightly price (multiplied by the number of nights) + the cleaning fee set by the host + any additional fee (extra guest, …). It doesn't include local taxes, VAT if applicable, or the insurance fee. The guest fee doesn’t apply to hotel bookings.
The guest service fee averages around 12% excluding taxes, based on many different factors such as the subtotal amount, the duration of the stay, some characteristics of the listing, etc. It gets lower in percentage for larger bookings. It might be higher for international travel or when inventory is in high demand. We charge a minimum of 12$/€ (including VAT) per booking.
As soon as you pick the dates for your stay while searching for a listing on misterb&b, you will see a breakdown of the total price in detail. Just click on "Details" on the listing’s page or later on the payment page.
Now, to help you better understand the guest fee, here’s a list of what it mainly covers.
LGBTQ+ employees' payroll
- Content, admin, finance, marketing
- Customer support team in 3 languages and Payment and Trust & Safety team with 25 persons ready to assist you and secure your trip every step of the way
- Important Research and Development costs to maintain the platform (desktop and mobile) as well as 2 mobile applications (Android and iOS)
- ID verification through an online partner solution. Fraud prevention protects the community
- Servers costs, SMS costs, etc.
- 5% of each transaction goes to bank processing fees (processing bank cards through various payment processors as well as processing payouts to the hosts)
Finance & legal
- Providing information about local STR regulations, collecting taxes on your behalf, and remitting them.
- Legal fees for compliance in 200 countries and thousands of cities (tax, GDPR, data processing, etc.)
- Marketing campaigns to attract more LGBTQ+ hosts to the platform
- Pride Rewards, a unique loyalty program
As you can see, our commissions leave us very little profit with all these costs. You will note that misterb&b does not pay dividends to its shareholders. The profits generated mainly pay back our "COVID-19 loans" and are reinvested in the company to develop our offer and create a world welcoming world for our community.
As an LGBTQ+ company founded and run by LGBTQ+ individuals, we make sure to give back to our community and we support LGBTQ+ organizations and often individuals too, like these LGBTQ+ refugees from Ukraine being hosted right now in Berlin and Lisbon through the Mister for Good initiative.