Operating as an Individual or Professional Host

November 2022

DISCLAIMER. This page is only designed to give you some help in understanding the regulations you should comply with. We do not pretend the information provided here is to be exhaustive nor current. It is your duty to know and abide by the law. For more information, please contact your local tax authorities or a local legal / tax expert.

In order to comply with consumer protection laws and tax regulations, misterb&b requires hosts to self-declare their status and display this information on their listing. 


Am I hosting as an individual or professional?

You need to declare your hosting status. The answer will depend on laws and case-laws applicable to your situation. misterb&b is not able to help you determine your situation. In case of any doubt, please contact a local legal expert.

However, certain common criteria can help you assess if your hosting activity is a professional one (especially where multiple factors apply). The list is not exhaustive and other factors may apply depending on your jurisdiction. 

  • Source of income. Your hosting activity is your profession or your primary source of income.
  • Profit. You host for profit making purposes.
  • Regularity/frequency. You host guests on a regular basis for an extended period of time. 
  • Legal status/registration. VAT registration can be a sign of business activity, also the creation of any legal structure to provide accommodation services (such as a property investment company).
  • Number of listings. You have multiple listings of multiple accommodations, properties. 


Why did misterb&b automatically set me as a professional? 

In certain cases/countries, if you have created your listing under a given category (e.g. boutique hotels, guesthouses/B&B), you may automatically qualify as a professional host. This is because the hosting category you chose can only be operated as a professional in your jurisdiction.


Where can I specify my status/provide my business information? 

You will be asked to declare your status as a professional or individual when creating a listing. If your situation changes, you can update your status on the page “Tax information” from “My Account”. 

Where misterb&b is required to collect such information by law, you will be asked to provide further information depending on your status (such as your tax identification number, your VAT number or additional business information). You can provide such information, and update it where any change occurs, on the page “Tax information” from “My Account”. 


Which requirements apply to me as a professional host/business?

As a professional host, business and consumer protection laws may require you to (i) provide certain information to your clients before booking and/or (ii) refrain from certain business practices. misterb&b is not in the position to help with your business obligations. In case of any doubt, please contact a local legal expert.


What information do I need to provide, as a professional host from the European Economic Area?

For professional hosts established/residing within the European Economic Area, the following information must be disclosed to potential guests (in your listing) in a clear manner:

  • Business identity: your business entity (such as your trading name), business address and contact details (such as telephone number and email address).
  • Service description: a comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date description of the accommodation provided, and any related services. Do not forget to include information about health and fire security.
  • Price and fees description: the price advertised, and ultimately paid by the guests, should include all mandatory charges (including taxes such as VAT, or tourist taxes, that misterb&b do not manage on your behalf). Do not forget to describe any optional/additional charges related to any services provided at the accommodation.  
  • Where applicable: your business registration number, VAT number and details of any responsible chamber of commerce/trade office.

Even though the aforementioned information is relevant for the European Economic Area, exact or similar requirements are likely to apply in other jurisdictions. We invite you to always provide this basic information where your hosting activity qualifies as a business, wherever you operate from. In case of any doubt regarding your obligations, we advise you to consult a local legal expert.