What to do if a guest damages my property?

If your guests damage your property or personal items during their stay, you may claim the security deposit from them based on the conditions of the property/items.
We do ask you, however, to report the incident to misterb&b.
Be sure to make a full report with pictures, statements, damage estimates, etc.
We will need to have all this information for our final report.

If you haven't been able to find the desired help, you can always contact the misterb&b team via this form or by phone :
International +33 9 75 18 74 62 OR USA/Canada +1 (415) 802-0876

Our English-speaking agents are available 7/7, 365 days a year.