Honolulu, HI

This page is only designed to give you an overview of the local requirements, but it is your duty to know and comply with the local laws. misterb&b is not a legal adviser : you should read carefully the relevant laws and contact a local adviser or the local authorities for further understanding.


Use definition and zoning requirements

The Revised Ordinances of Honolulu City defines “transient vacation unit” as “a dwelling unit or lodging unit which is provided for compensation to transient occupants for less than 30 days, other than a bed and breakfast home”. The Hosts should refer to the Land Use Ordinance to check out if operating tourist accommodation is permitted in the relevant zone.


Certificate of Registration

Hawaii law (see here) requires every Host operating transient accommodations to register the place(s) they rent out. Complete State of Hawaii Basic Business Application and pay the corresponding fees (in person or online).

Once the certificate of registration obtained from the Department of Taxation, it is mandatory to add the Hawaii Tax ID Number (delivered on the certificate) on misterb&b listings. To do so, when connected on your misterb&b account, you should go to “edit my listing” > “address.

The State laws make it mandatory to display the certification in the transient accommodations, with the name, phone number and e-mail address of a local contact person on the Oahu island.

For more information about the registration and useful contacts, read this brochure.


Housing Standards

Rental units must respect the regulations concerning health, safety and maintenance standards. We invite our Hosts to make sure their accommodations respect the standards set in the Revised Ordinance of Honolulu.


Transient Accommodation Tax

Every rental, of any unit or part of it, of less than 180 days is subjected to the Transient Accommodations Tax of the State of Hawaii. It is collected by the Host from the Guest and remitted to the State of Hawaii (here are the forms to fill out). You can contact the Oahu District Office of the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation by phone at 808-587-4242, 808-587-1600 or by email Taxpayer.Services@hawaii.gov. For more information about the transient accommodation tax in the State of Hawaii and useful contacts, read this brochure or visit the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation website