Key West, FL

This page is only designed to give you an overview of the local requirements, but it is your duty to know and comply with the local laws. misterb&b is not a legal adviser : you should read carefully the relevant laws and contact a local adviser or the local authorities for further understanding.

The city of Key West has regulated vacation rentals by adding Section 122-1371 to the Land Development Regulations.


Transient Accommodation Licensing

A certain number of licensing and registration are required by local, county and State laws in order to rent out a unit as a vacation rental :

  • State of Florida : vacation rentals must obtain a licence from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (more information can be found here, including the Florida Laws requirements that must be met by the vacation rentals) and a certification of registration from the Florida Department of Revenue (application online).
  • County of Monroe : the Hosts who rent their dwelling units less than 28 consecutive days must obtain a Vacation Rental Permit.
  • City of Key West : the Hosts must obtain a tax receipt from the City, then be licensed, to rent a transient rental unit (less than 30 days). Both the Business Tax receipt application and the Transient Licence one can be found on this page.


Housing and Building Standards

All structures proposed to be used on a transient basis must comply with codes and requirements of the building department (see Chapter 14 of the Key West Code of Ordinances), fire department (Chapter 30), and all other regulatory agencies (you can find useful contacts here).


Transient Accommodation Taxes

Any Guest who rents transient accommodations for a period of 6 months is subjected to the Florida Sales and Use Tax (for more information about the tax and its remittance, visit this page) and to the Monroe County Tourism Development Tax (for more information about the tax and its remittance, visit this page).