General requirements

Tourist accommodation is not a free business you can operate without considering and respecting the local law and fiscal obligations. When you accept the misterb&b Terms of Service, you agree to abide by all local regulations.


Standards, requirements and prior authorizations

The requirements, restrictions and bans regarding short-term rentals may differ from a locality to another. In particular, local authorities can require from someone to go through a registration process in order to obtain an authorization before listing their property for rental. It is also common for a city to require the Hosts to obtain a Business Licence.

We strongly invite our hosts to ensure their rental activities are respecting zoning regulations (Homeowners are limited in the ways that they can use their property in the majority of cities). The units that are rented out must meet all the safety, fire, buildings and public health standards. Moreover, they have to make sure that renting their units does not break any agreements concluded with third parties (like leases if the host is a tenant) or rules adopted by condo boards or homeowners associations.

We insist it is the legal duty of the hosts to know and abide by the local laws. We only aim here to give an overview of the fiscal and legal obligations, but it is necessary for the hosts to conduct further researches.


Tourist tax

A City, a locality or a State can assess a tax on the transient occupancy on their territory. The tax applies on the rent price and is generally calculated by persons and by nights.

The tax is collected by the host from the guest at his arrivance, and remits it to the local authorities. The host should notify on its listing the amount of the tax, so the guest is fully aware of it before booking a rental.

The amount of the tax and the collect and remittance modalities may differ from a locality to another. We only aim here to give an overview of the fiscal obligations, but it is the duty of the hosts to know and respect the fiscal laws.


misterb&b does not offer legal advice, so you should contact your local city officials and find a lawyer and a tax professional.