This page is only designed to give you an overview of the local requirements, but it is your duty to know and comply with the local laws. misterb&b is not a legal adviser : you should read carefully the relevant laws and contact a local adviser or the local authorities for further understanding.



The Bavaria State has enacted a Law on the Prohibition of misappropriation of housing (ZwEWG) on December 10, 2007, amended by Law of March 22, 2013, in order to preserve the residential character of housings. The Munich City has adopted the Statutes of the state capital Munich on the prohibition of the alienation of housing (ZeS) on December 12, 2013.

In his official brochure, the City of Munich presents cases that would be accepted, because do not constitute a misuse under the applicable legislation. The list is not exhaustive :

  • Renting to Guests a room in a family house, if Guests share the bathroom and the kitchen with Hosts during their stays.
  • Renting a whole accommodation during Hosts absence / holidays, when the stays do not exceed a total amount of 6 weeks during the calendar year.

For more informations, visit this page. You can contact Munich Special Team to clarify the legal situation of your rental at



The short-term rental of an housing, or part of it, requires an authorization (Genehmigung nach der Zweckentfremdung) from the Office of Housing and Migration (Amt für Wohnen und Migration) of the Social Services Department (Sozialreferat). Fore more information, see here and here on the Munich official website.

You can contact the Amt für Wohnen und Migration by email at ; you can also call (0 89) 2 33-67201 or -67 202.


Please note that it may be required from you to pay taxes for your rental activity. Please refer to the Munich official website for more information.