Napa, CA

This page is only designed to give you an overview of the local requirements, but it is your duty to know and comply with the local laws. misterb&b is not a legal adviser : you should read carefully the relevant laws and contact a local adviser or the local authorities for further understanding.

On November 3, 2015, the City Council of Napa has adopted the Vacation Rental Ordinance 02015-13 (creating section 17.52.215 in the Napa Municipal Code) in order to regulate short-term rentals.



Section 17.52.515 of the Municipal Code defines “vacation rental” as “any transient occupancy use for which the city has issued a vacation rental permit pursuant to this section”.

The section divides the vacation rentals into 2 categories:

  • Hosted Accommodation: “a vacation rental business for which the owner resides at the vacation rental unit, and the owner sleeps at the vacation rental unit while it is being rented, and no more than 2 bedrooms are rented for transient occupancy pursuant to this section”.
  • Non-Hosted Accommodation: “a vacation rental business for which the authorized agent is not required to reside at the vacation rental unit.”

For more informations, visit this official page about vacation rentals on the Napa official website.


Vacation Rental Permits (one-year validity)

Transient occupancy use is not permitted in residential and non-residential zoning districts, unless the city has approved it. For Vacation Rentals, Hosts must obtain a Vacation Rental permit : you can find the two permit applications here, depending on whether the accommodation is hosted or non-hosted.

Mind that the permit application for a non-hosted accommodations requires the Host to identify an authorised agent (whether it is him or another person). Also, it is important to understand the permit is conditional upon the respect of a certain number of requirements and minimum standards.

Once you have obtained a Vacation Rental Permit, you must enter the “City of Napa Certified Vacation Rental” on every rental advertising, including your misterb&b listing. To do so, when connected on your misterb&b account, you should go to “edit my listing>address” .


Business Licence

Vacation Rentals are considered to be business in Napa City : Hosts should obtain a business licence (see Business Licence Ordinance - Chapter 5.04 of the Napa Municipal Code). For more informations about Business Licence in Napa, visit this page on the Napa official website.


Requirements and minimum standards

Every vacation rental must meet the standard and requirements set by Section 17.52.515 E. There is a special emphasis on fire safety, as the vacation rental must include a portable fire extinguisher and. Each bedroom that is a part of the vacation rental use shall have an emergency escape or rescue exit. The Section aims also to avoid any noise disturbance by setting quiet times according to the day of the week.

The Section sets also occupancy standards, as no more than 10 persons are allowed to sleep at the vacation rental unit. In hosted accommodations, no more than 2 bedrooms may be rented for transient occupancy uses ; the owners must reside and sleep at the vacation rental unit during Guests’ stay, in a bedroom that is not rented to any renter.

It is important to note that the owner (for a hosted accommodation) and the authorised agent (for a non-hosted accommodation) must be available by telephone at all times when the vacation rental is rented, and be able to come to the vacation rental within 1 hour to address any issue of permit compliance or of the health, safety, or welfare of the public or the renter.

Hosts must post in the vacation rental units a copy of the house rules and the vacation rental permit, and prepare an informational packet of emergency numbers for Guests.

We highly encourage our Hosts to refer to the Section 17.52.515 E in order to comply with the applicable regulations : note that an annual inspection of vacation rentals premises will be conducted by the municipality. You can find here a “Fire & Life Safety Self-Inspection for Vacation Rentals” brochure.

Vacation rentals unit must also respect all the city (including without limitations Title 8 health and Safety and Title 15 Buildings and Construction of the Napa Municipal Code) and State regulations (including without limitations California Building Code).


Transient Occupancy Tax

The City of Napa levies a tax on overnight stays. The tax is 12% of gross rent, and is paid by Guests. The tax is collected by Hosts, and remitted to the Finance Department of the city. Learn more about this tax with this tax manual. You can find the tax return on this page.

For more information, see this FAQ on the Finance Department page or contact the Department by calling (707) 257-9508 or by emailing