Kihei, HI

This page is only designed to give you an overview of the local requirements, but it is your duty to know and comply with the local laws. misterb&b is not a legal adviser : you should read carefully the relevant laws and contact a local adviser or the local authorities for further understanding.

On May 23, 2016, the County of Maui has approved Ordinance n° 4315 amending the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance in order to permit and regulate short-term rental homes.



The section 19.04.040 of Maui County Code defines “short-term rental home” as “a residential use in which overnight accommodations are provided to guests for compensation, for periods of less than 180 days, in no more than 2 [detached] single-family dwelling units, or one single-family dwelling unit and one accessory dwelling unit, excluding bed and breakfast homes”.


Short-Term Rental Home Permit

Pursuant to Section 19.65.030 of the Maui County Code, a Short-Term Rental Home Permit must be obtained from the Planning Department prior the beginning of activity. You can find the application here on the Maui County website.

The STRH permit application must be accompanied with supporting document such as prove of ownership, neighbor notification of application, Transient Accommodation Tax and General Excise Tax certificate. For more information about the STRH permit application procedure (including a documents checklist), see this STRH Permit Application Packet.

Pursuant to Section 19.65.040.A, the valid permit number issued to the permit holder must be included in all advertisings : that includes your misterb&b listing. To do so, when connected on your misterb&b account, you should go to “edit my listing>address”.


Registration of business

Hawaii law (see here) requires every Host operating transient accommodations to register the place(s) they rent out. This registration is completed (in person or online) by filling out the State of Hawaii Basic Business Application and paying the General Excise Tax.

Once the certificate of registration obtained from the Department of Taxation, it is mandatory to add the Hawaii Tax ID Number (delivered on the certificate) on misterb&b listings. To do so, when connected on your misterb&b account, you should go to “edit my listing” > “address”.

State law makes it mandatory to display the certification in the transient accommodations, with the name, phone number and e-mail address of a local contact person. For more information about the registration and useful contacts, read this brochure.


Requirements / standards

Short-Term Rental Home must respect a certain number of requirements and standards, like set by Section 19.65.030 of Maui County Code.

For instance, each short-term rental home must include bedrooms, one kitchen, and living areas. No more than a total of 6 bedrooms for short-term rental home use, as specified within the zoning district provisions of this title.

The permit holder or manager shall prominently display "house policies" within the dwelling, that shall include minimum : prohibition of amplified sound that is audible beyond the property boundaries, prohibition of parties or group gatherings other than registered guests, requirement of parking Guests vehicles in the designated onsite parking area (not in the street), requirement of quiet hours from 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.


Transient Accommodations Tax

Every rental, of any unit or part of it, of less than 180 days is subjected to the Transient Accommodations Tax of the State of Hawaii. It is collected by the Host from the Guest and remitted to the State of Hawaii (here are the forms to fill out).

For more information about the transient accommodation tax in the State of Hawaii and useful contacts, read this brochure or visit the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation website. You can contact the Maui District Office of the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation by phone at 808-984-8500, 808-553-5541 or by email


For more information, see this official page about short-term rental home. You can call Planning Department of Maui County at (808) 270-7735.